著者: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] Making sense of C pointer syntax.
Edward Bartolo <edbarx@???> writes:

> Hi, thanks for your help.
>
> So: [ I am recalling this from memory to test where I am ]
> a) type* pp; // declare a pointer pp
> b) *pp = RHS; // assign RHS to the data pointed to by pp
> c) type **ss; // declare a pointer to pointer. System only allocates
> space for one address

(1) Background
--------------

The C type system is built around the idea that certain kind of types can be
derived from already existing types. These are pointers, arrays (and
functions, but I'm going to omit them for simplicity). Eg, assuming type
identifies and existing type,

type *pt

declares a pointer to objects of type type and

type at[3];

declares an array of objects of type type. When an object is defined,
the system allocates storage for it in some suitable location, eg, on
the stack or by reserving a register.

(2)Typedef names
----------------

It's possible to create a new name for an existing type with the help of
typedef, eg, after

typedef int *pint;

pint can be used as type name to mean 'pointer to int'. Eg,

pint pi;

would define an object of type 'pointer to int' (the compiler will
allocate storage for).

Pulling this together
---------------------

Assuming pint is declared as above. As per (1), new types can now
derived from it, eg,

pint *ppi; /* "Dear customer ..." */

This defines a "pointer to pint", hence, the system allocates storage
for one. But that's really the same as

int **ppi;

which is handled in exactly the same way: An object with a pointer type
derived from some existing type is defined. Hence, storage for a pointer
is reserved. That the existing type is itself a pointer type doesn't
matter, for the given purpose, it's just 'some type'.

> f) strings are character arrays, so they obey the rules governing arrays

They're really pointers to character arrays. Because an array is
converted to a pointer to its first element most of the time, a
character array, say

char chars[] = "12345";

can be used as if it had been declared as a pointer. There's one
important difference:

char chars[] = "12345";

cause the compiler to reserve six bytes (five chars + terminating 0) in
some location the program can write to. Afterwards,

*chars = R;

could be used to change the string to R2345. In contrast to this.

char *chars = "12345";

causes the compiler to allocate storage for a writable char * and
initialize that with the address of a string literal which is not
required to be (and usually won't be) writeable.