:: Re: [DNG] devuan installer main men…
Página Principal
Autor: Boruch Baum
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] devuan installer main menu access
On 03/29/2016 12:33 AM, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 06:30:42PM -0400, Boruch Baum wrote:
>> 4.1] Was it a case of 'fat-fingerng'? I don't think so, but it's
>> asking a lot to attempt to re-create this because with slow
>> bandwidth, each install attempt takes a long time to get to this
>> stage. Today's connection was especially slow. This has been the
>> only time and point in the install process that I've had a problem
>> returning to the main menu, so it might have been an errant
>> keystroke, but I think I was being careful.
>
> You had previously indicated you have other debian/devuan boxes on
> your network.

Did not. Don't.

> Is there any reason why you can't install apt-cacher-ng on one of
> them?

See above.

> You could then experiment with as many install attempts as you
> want without having to download the same packages all over again.

What I did write in the past, in response to Adam Borowski's identical
suggestion, was that its asking a lot of a potential contributor to
require multiple machines, a network, and the additional software, for
something that could easily have been solved by either: 1] not being
stingy on the initial download, ie. offering a full iso instead of a
netboot, or 2] having the netboot installer also refer to a local cache.
Also, how many other linux distributions make that kind of request?

I'll mention one solution I didn't offer before because its performance
might not be as fast - use the extra space on the install medium. -IF-
the install medium is a new-ish USB stick, then it likely has a capacity
of 8/16/32 GB, and if the target is USB3-equipped, then the transfer
speeds should be good. The installer already sets up a small writable
FIRMWARE partition on the install media, so this additional suggestion
would be to not let the rest of the install media go to waste - use it
as a local cache.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1 7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0