:: Re: [DNG] Making sense of C pointer…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Emiliano Marini
To: Edward Bartolo
CC: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Making sense of C pointer syntax.
The main difference here is where you are storing the value "20000000".

In the first example, p is located in addresses belonging to "main" memory
space (the stack presumably, beacuse "main" is the first function called
upon start). You are passing the memory address of p (where p is located)
to the function "change_value". The function assumes the memory address you
are passing it's valid (meaning that it can be written safely). If you call
"change_value" with null or with an invalid address (an address outside of
all segments) you will cause a segfault.

In the second example, "change_value" creates a new memory space (in the
heap) to store "20000000". This means you aren't "changing" anything. Every
time you call "change_value" it creates a new """instance""" of "20000000".
Plus, if you don't free p before calling it again ("change_value(&p)"), you
will be trashing memory (memory that cannot be released later, because you
don't know their addresses).