:: Re: [DNG] On the wisdom on netboot …
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Boruch Baum
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] On the wisdom on netboot installer images
On 03/21/2016 06:19 PM, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@???> writes:
>> 1] For a day-to-day changing alpha release it makes plenty of sense to
>> keep the initial download as small as possible, since so much is
>> expected to change as part of the development process.
>>
>> 2] OTOH, a developer wants to encourage people to test the install and
>> the release often, so it makes sense to have an initial iso download
>> packed with the stable and large software packages that aren't central
>> to the what the distribution is innovating. Any time a user runs a
>> second test, she incurs a bandwidth burden of an entire new install.
>
> Your idea of "wisdom" is a bit out-of-sync lopsided: I've been doing
> Debian installs based on 'netboot' images for a long time because that's
> just a lot easier and more comfortable to do: There's an 'initial
> download' of enough of the system to install more software and a user
> can then add more packages as needed 'on the go', without having to
> download a huge file containing mostly "stuff which won't be needed"
> (and without someone having to server this huge file to me).
>
> There's also no need to download this "huge file" at all just to test
> 'installation'. It's perfectly possible to exit the Debian installation
> procedure after the base system has been set up and before any other
> software has been installed.

Of course you're right, for one half of what I was discussing. But you
do want people to be testing not just the install, but also the release,
don't you? That WILL require downloading an entire release in order to
check that the userland and desktop components interact properly, and
all the GUI theming operates as desired, and that all the defaults are
sensible. That's why I mentioned above that "2] OTOH, a developer wants
to encourage people to test the install and the RELEASE often".

The main point of my post was the paragraph you deleted.