:: Re: [DNG] Packaging Vdev
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Packaging Vdev
Le 19/03/2016 22:00, Daniel Reurich a écrit :

> On 20 March 2016 9:07:48 AM NZDT, Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

>> "/usr/local",

>> [...]
>> should i

>> Vdev
>> if

>> it to

>>> I strongly disagree. If it's to be packaged, it should be packaged
>>> properly in keeping with Debian policies (which Devuan has adopted)
>> with
>>> regards to FHS and location of parts.
>>>
>>> Vdev being an essential system tool should be in the root hierarchy.
>>      I fully agree with you; therefore I don't understand in what you
>> disagree :-)

> You were just suggesting that it would be ok to "leave it like this until you can get
> it to work and then switch to a normal file hierarchy when ready".
>
> I'm just stating that I disagree with your premise that creating a package that breaks policy is acceptable "until you can get it to work".
>
> If vdev doesn't work already then it's to early to be packaging it. However indications are that it does work and thus it should be properly packaged.
>
> As for testing it should minimally be able to be used successfully debootstrap a new system and also to replace udev on a running system without seriously breaking anything.
>
> Once it does that we should put it in experimental for wider testing.

     Daniel, my point was just practical, although it's obviously
Aitor's buzyness.

     Jude organized his install process so as to put the files under
/usr/local, so that testers could easily test it without interferring
with the hotplugger in function. As such, the package does not need to
exclude Udev.  I tested Vdev with the normal file hierarchy, in a tiny
OS Busybox-based, and I didn't read any report of anyone else having
done so.

     Several months ago, when I stopped testing Vdev in this way, it was
working fine. But the latest version isn't working properly and I don't
know the reason. I cannot exclude that the reason is in handling the
file hierarchy. Vdev manages a lot of files, much more than Udev. OTOH I
didn't read any report of a successful test of this latest version under
/usr/local.

     This is why I suggested to go step by step and not build blindly a
final version of the package which would force the removal of Udev and
replace it with something which doesn't work. But,
again, this was just a friendly suggestion to Aitor, who probably
doesn't need it. And this suggestion caused a useless discussion which
is why I regret to have made it.

     Didier