:: Re: [DNG] Packaging Vdev
Página Inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Packaging Vdev
On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 19:05:20 +0100
aitor_czr <aitor_czr@???> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> By default, PSTAT (a dependency of VDEV) is installed in
> "/usr/local", just as VDEV.
>
> As Daniel Raurich explained in another thread:
>
> [...] the "/usr/local" directory is for non-packaged local stuff [...]
>
> So, should i change this configuration for those packages, or should
> i skip debhelper's "dh_usrlocal" script adding:
>
> binary:
>      dh binary --before dh_usrlocal
>      dh binary --after dh_usrlocal

> to debian/rules?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
>     Aitor.

This is pure opinion: Get a second opinion:

My understanding is that /usr/local is the base of the tree used for
software *not* installed by the distro's package manager. When I
compile my own dmenu or lyx, it goes under the /usr/local directory,
with all executables going in /usr/local/bin.

My understanding is that the distro's package manager never puts
anything in the /usr/local tree. If the thing is an executable, it goes
in /usr/bin. Libraries go in /usr/lib. Header files go in /usr/include.
Fonts and themes and other stuff like that goes in /usr/share.

If /usr/local/VDEV is a directory, I'd imagine you'd farm out its files
to the directories listed in the preceding paragraph. If VDEV is an
executable, it would go in /usr/bin, or perhaps /sbin or /usr/sbin.

Like I say, I'm the world's least authoritative person when it comes to
package managers, but if I've understood what I've heard others, the
preceding pretty much sums up what to do.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz