著者: Steve Litt
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] Where to get beta?
On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 15:01:57 +0000
hellekin <hellekin@???> wrote:

> On 03/17/2016 07:56 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> >
> > Where can I download Devuan's beta?
> >

> In the near future, as Mitt suggested ;o),
> from https://devuan.org/ and https://files.devuan.org/.
> For now, in Centurion_dan's pocket :)
>
> Tip: for anything related to the Web, please report issues to
> https://git.devuan.org/devuan-editors/devuan-www/issues.
>
> > IMHO, right now, today, links should be placed at the very
> > top of the current https://devuan.org website
> >

> Won't gonna happen. Current devuan.org and future devuan.org are
> completely different. We're working towards beta, and that's
> happening soon, so the current site is frozen (actually it's not, but
> we don't really have time to ride both horses.)

OK. I suggest that prominent links to download, mailing list and IRC be
placed at the top of the FUTURE devuan.org.

> How to join the mailing-list: isn't a link to
> https://mailinglists.dyne.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dng enough?

It would be, if prominent. But it was the 13th out of 18 similar looking
links distributed throughout a 1000 word document. When someone is
going to a Free Software website, most want to immediately ask one of
these questions:

* What's going on here?
* How do I communicate with the community?
* How do I download various versions?
* How do I donate?

In my opinion, links to the answers of those four questions should go
at the top of the home page, displayed prominently, so that a
prospective user doesn't say to himself tl;dr and move on.

> How to join the IRC channels: what else than telling they're on
> freenode and linking to them?

Again, in the middle of a 1000 line document.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz