:: [DNG] On-Topic discussion of Off-To…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steven W. Scott
A: dng
Assumpte: [DNG] On-Topic discussion of Off-Topic discussions and material
Hello all,
        I've been following this list since the early inception of Devuan,
have contributed to the project financially, and enjoy very much the
information and insight found here. I generally don't post unless I have
something to contribute in some way, even if it's just opinion.

I understand the need to keep the list on-subject and focused, and
sometimes the discussion drifts and sways into side-topics, but generally
those trail off in short time.

I think folks have done a pretty good job of curbing discussions that
forever stray into deep brush to this point, but it seems recently some
individuals have appointed themselves to hall-monitor status and have,
frankly, made this list appear unfriendly and hostile.

The problem with declaring something off-topic is that it can be highly
subjective, and influenced by a person's particular point of view and/or
opinions. For example, in my mind, Windows and systemd are cousins, same
goals, same methods, same genetic disposition, so most discussion involving
the failure of either to allow choice seems relevant to me.

In the spirit of cooperation and to lay down an initial baseline of what is
definitely considered off-topic, I would like to propose that any
discussion, material, links, or tags that are included in any post which
are solely designed to promote, for profit, an individual's business,
website, publication, application, or other media be removed as off-topic,
and if the individual continues to post self-promoting material, ultimately
banned from posting to this list.

I believe that is a fair and reasonable baseline to start from.
Additionally, a clear delineation of approved list admins would curtail
much vigilantism that only serves to make the board appear to be a social
clique. You don't have to look far to find discussions that may be viewed
as off-topic which involve much of the same people who have declared
something else off-topic.

Respectfully,

Steven W. Scott