:: Re: [DNG] Packaging Vdev
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Packaging Vdev
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 01:31:10PM +0000, aitor_czr wrote:
>> Hi Daniel, Didier

>> Something like this?
>>
>> 0.1.20160314+1deb1
>>
>> I was purposing something like this:
>>
>> 0.1.d5d965-jessie1
>>
>> There is not a great difference between both. If you prefer to use
>> the date instead of the short commit, i will do so.
>
> The whole point with version numbers is to be able to compare them to
> know which is more up-to-date. Wouldn't using a hash conflict with
> this?

Provided it doesn't change unless the upstream version changes, too, no.
It's just going to cause a lot of useless work when determining version
ordering.

     First the initial part of each string consisting entirely of
     non-digit characters is determined. These two parts (one of
     which may be empty) are compared lexically. If a difference is
     found it is returned. The lexical comparison is a comparison of
     ASCII values modified so that all the letters sort earlier than
     all the non-letters and so that a tilde sorts before anything,
     even the end of a part.

         [...]

    Then the initial part of the remainder of each string which
    consists entirely of digit characters is determined. The
    numerical values of these two parts are compared, and any
    difference found is returned as the result of the
    comparison. For these purposes an empty string (which can only
    occur at the end of one or both version strings being compared)
    counts as zero.

    These two steps (comparing and removing initial non-digit
    strings and initial digit strings) are repeated until a
    difference is found or both strings are exhausted.

        https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version