:: Re: [DNG] Single-board usable with …
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Florian Zieboll
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] Single-board usable with fully free software?
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 11:28:46 +0100
aitor_czr <aitor_czr@???> wrote:

> I've been reading in Internet and now i'm more informed and more
> confused. It's not a single board computer, but the Penguin Pocket
> Wee GNU:
>
> https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-pocket-wee-gnu-linux-desktop
>
> from Think Penguin is very small and fully supports libre software.

AFAIK all modern Intel chipsets come with a feature called "management
engine" (or similar), which is basically the ultimate rootkit platform
in hardware resp. firmware, with lowest level ("Ring -3") NIC, RAM and
CPU access, even when the system is powered down.

I guess, regarding sustainable open source development, the Intel (the
whole x86?!) train is gone - too far for only wasting a thought on
trying to catch it.

Some results of a quick web search:

http://me.bios.io/ME:About

http://blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/x86_harmful.pdf (chapter 4)