:: Re: [DNG] systemd==bad
Góra strony
Autor: Steve Litt
Dla: dng
Nowe tematy: [DNG] Categorical Confusion (was: systemd==bad)
Temat: Re: [DNG] systemd==bad
On Mon, 7 Mar 2016 17:16:32 +0400
anon.udmvt@??? wrote:

> For example, my friends are split:
> the older generations are looking for a viable alternative for a
> migration, or have already migrated (FreeBSD, yes) their desktops and
> servers, the young generation can't comprehend (the comlexity for
> ex.) yet, so they are happy to adopt systemd and are boasting about
> that, since I personally didn't adopt it at the moment and still
> fighting it's installation on our servers.
> So, young admins are slowly just installing what's given and it just
> works for them... Unknown systemd is no worse for equally unknown
> world of sysvinit+shell_scripts for the young generation. Bad news
> for us...

I'd think twice before phrasing this as an age issue (the way
PoetterPoser does). I've seen photos of (vdev creator) Jude Nelson,
and he doesn't look like he's ready for a cane and suspenders.

Also, I think it depends more on experience than age. I'd imagine a
person, who had been in San Francisco during the Summer of Love, who
just came to Linux in 2015, wouldn't care about his init. I'd also
imagine a 21 year old just graduating college, who has been using Linux
since 2004, would dumpster all systemd distros.

Why this is important is that, to the extent this is perceived as an
age thing (with the must-have pejorative "neckbeard" or "graybeard"),
you give PoetterPoser more credibility when he characterizes systemd
resistance as "you can't teach an old dog new tricks."

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz