:: Re: [DNG] Claywand dosplay bananage…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Rainer Weikusat
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Claywand dosplay bananager
Teodoro Santoni <asbrasbra@???> writes:
>> What did they replace X11 forwarding with? (I shudder to ask)
>
> Nothing afaik.
> Some people are enabling VNC for wayland compositors though.
> They are very akin technologies.

Not at all, actually. VNC based on keeping two bitmapped displays in
sync by sending by sending 'bitmap updates' from the remote machine to
'the local display'. Even in a LAN environment (disclaimer: Haven't used
it since 2004) this is a clunky mechanism which sucks badly. OTOH, X
uses a higher-level protocol where clients send "drawing commands" to an
X server which executes them on their behalf. It's just that this is one
of these "obsolete technologies" (2D graphics? Nobody uses that!)
so-called 'modern desktop applications' don't use: These do all their
rendering on the client (at least reportedly) and then send bitmaps to
the X server. As this still sucks badly, "network transparency" is
essentially useless for wayland as "like VNC" is the best it will ever
become.

OTOH, I'm almost exclusively using applications which do use the
"obsolete 2D graphic features" (fvwm, 'lucid emacs', xterm) and this
means I can (and actually did for a long time) do stuff like "work from
home at the end of an ADSL link, using my local computer as better 'X
terminal' to run graphic applications on another computer located in an
office 30 miles away from me".