:: [DNG] Secure boot turnoff?
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng@lists.dyne.org
Onderwerp: [DNG] Secure boot turnoff?
Hi all,

As you know, as of Windows 10 certification it's no longer incumbent on
manufacturers to provide an off switch for secure boot. As you also
know from the articles on people bricking their computers, it's
possible to run a "certified" Linux and trash UEFI variables that Linux
accesses with a certain directory.

I'm wondering if perhaps, even if the computer's UEFI adjustment
interface (formerly called "The Bios") doesn't provide an off-switch,
could one find a software off-switch as a variable with Linux booted,
and permanently turn off Secure Boot that way?

Of course, as soon as we start doing that, Microsoft and Redhat will
remove that capability, but if it can be done at least we'll free up a
lot of currently locked computers.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2016 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key