:: Re: [DNG] Dependency Hell: was leve…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Didier Kryn
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Dependency Hell: was leveldb support proposal
Le 02/03/2016 16:04, Steve Litt a écrit :
> I'm constructing my wpa_supplicant toolset. So far it's 100% /bin/sh.
> Installation involves nothing more than copying its directory tree
> somewhere on your computer, and then, on your executable path, putting
> a 1 line shellscript that calls the main program in my toolset with
> argument $@.
>
> I can copy it to any machine with those two operations, and remove it
> by deleting the directory tree and the 1 line shellscript.
>
> I'd like to take credit for this easy installation idea, but of course I
> can't. This was the main way of installing programs on MS-DOS. No DLLs.
> No .so's. No registry. Just copy the directory, and bang, you're
> installed. And so it is that, today, I can still run WordPerfect 5.0,
> or Clarion 2.1, decades after my Windows programs became unrunnable.

     This installation method is used almost consistently by
Sabotage-Linux. The final step of package installation is to place
symlinks in canonical places. Unfortunately they make an exception for
the toolchain, gcc and system libraries. gcc isn't sysrooted and header
files and libraries are put in canonical places.

     I'd like to test your wpa_supplicant toolset.

     Didier