:: Re: [DNG] leveldb support proposal
Kezdőlap
Szerző: T.J. Duchene
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] leveldb support proposal
On 2016-03-01 20:22, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> "T.J. Duchene" <tj@???> writes:
> > On 03/01/2016 08:15 AM, dng-request@??? wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> > I'd just like to offer my opinions on the subject of Debian/Devuan
> > libraries, linking and so on. This is just an opinion, so no one has
> > to agree by any stretch of the human imagination, nor do I feel it
> > necessary to defend it.
>
> It's not "just an opinion", it asserts quite a few things which are at
> least worded in a very scarily sounding and vague way, if not outright
> wrong.

I am sorry you took it that way. I was just keeping it "simple" as I
said. =)

> As single example: Applications aren't "compiled with" dynamic
> libraries, they're combined with them at runtime which happens in the
> same way regardless of the system they were compiled on.

I am not trying to be rude or condescending, but if you prefer a more
qualified answer to show that I know what I am talking about, then I
must disagree with you. They are not "combined" with anything except a
set of calls, with parameters usually placed on the stack, in a specific
order when the calls are executed. The order and exact methods depend on
the language and what type of scoping and binding is used. They are
linked via an ABI, with the operating system's linker accessing the
relevant object code.

If you meant every Linux system that uses ELF binaries, I might agree
with you. They are compiled roughly the same way on the existing
versions of Linux certainly, but not "regardless of the system they were
compiled on." There are several different methods of creating
executables used in the world, and I was speaking more in generic terms.

All of this is exactly the "gobblety-gook" I was trying to avoid. I see
no reason to mention it further, unless it is needful.

> It could go into more detail here but judging "recent events", that
> would probably just again cause someone to become very angry

I admit, my first thought was annoyance, but I think that is a natural
reaction from anyone who works in a technical field and is told "You are
wrong." I think we are all adults here and can refrain from sarcasm and
"flame wars." if you have some objections, I'd be genuinely interested
in hearing your concerns.

Take care!
t.j.