:: Re: [DNG] leveldb support proposal
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: dng
Temas nuevos: [DNG] Dependency Hell: was leveldb support proposal
Asunto: Re: [DNG] leveldb support proposal
Le 01/03/2016 11:37, Noel Torres a écrit :
> It happens a lot that two packages you need request different versions
> of the same library, not always co-installable. Mostly if you go
> beyond "stable". Or even if you got stuck on oldstable and try to
> install some simple new package.
>
> And this is a good amount of the "dependency hell" when it comes to
> Desktop users.
>
> So, I think that having some way of installing multiple versions of
> the same library would be a useful feature. Heck, even windows does
> that in (some) right way.

     I hesitated to reply because I know my answer is politically
incorrect. "dependency hell" is the consequence of dynamic linkage. I
understand that dynamic linkage is a necessity for distros, but if the
concern is about one package, this very one can be linked statically.
Just search for "static" in synaptic and you'll see that many Debian
packages, including bash and zsh have static versions, therefore it is
not so politically incorrect. Therefore nothing prevents bitcoin from
being statically linked - only glibc remaining dynamic.

     Didier