:: Re: [DNG] A heads up about xfce's f…
Página Inicial
Autor: KatolaZ
Para: Edward Bartolo
CC: dng, T.J. Duchene
Assunto: Re: [DNG] A heads up about xfce's future
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:41:22PM +0100, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Like, I assume many, on this mailing list, know what to do when they
> opt not to install the default window manager or desktop. However, I
> think, XFCE is a good choice, although on my T4400 2GB computer it
> tends to be rather heavy. Window managers are attractive with respect
> to low resource use, but they are unattractive with respect to user
> configuration unless somebody in Devuan decides to write a script or
> an executable to automate user configuration of the most popular
> window managers. The latter is a job I don't know as I have never
> configured a window manager. My eyes, although perfectly healthy, are
> quite dictatorial to me. I need good readability and small fonts are
> out of question to me as they cause too much eye fatigue. I also need
> to have control of display brightness as average brightness is too
> insense for me.
>
> I think, window manager user configuration more or less rests on these tasks:
> a) configure some menu structure to access user programs
> b) configure a keyboard structure to access user programs
> c) configure wallpaper and screen saver
> d) adjust font sizes and screen brightness

Hi Edward,

some of the most widely used window managers ship with a configuration
tool which allows to do tune those things with a few clicks. This is
true for instance in WindowMaker, where WPrefs can configure almost
all the configurable options. This is however not true for other
window managers, especially tiling ones, which usually have just a
configuration file for that, and assume that vi is the best way to
configure your environment (which is not totally bullshit, indeed).

Unfortunately, the screensaver is another story, mainly for historical
reasons, and brightness adjustment often depends quite heavily on
your hardware...

HND

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]