:: Re: [DNG] A heads up about xfce's f…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: T.J. Duchene
A: Edward Bartolo
Cc: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] A heads up about xfce's future

On 02/29/2016 04:41 PM, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> Hi,

Hello, Edward! =)

> Like, I assume many, on this mailing list, know what to do when they
> opt not to install the default window manager or desktop. However, I
> think, XFCE is a good choice, although on my T4400 2GB computer it
> tends to be rather heavy.

Yes, perhaps so. I just suggested XFCE because it would likely serve
for most. In the case of your netbook, perhaps IceWM would be a better
choice.

> Window managers are attractive with respect
> to low resource use, but they are unattractive with respect to user
> configuration unless somebody in Devuan decides to write a script or
> an executable to automate user configuration of the most popular
> window managers. The latter is a job I don't know as I have never
> configured a window manager.

I'd be happy to lend you a hand, just drop me a note at my address.

> My eyes, although perfectly healthy, are
> quite dictatorial to me. I need good readability and small fonts are
> out of question to me as they cause too much eye fatigue. I also need
> to have control of display brightness as average brightness is too
> insense for me.
>
> I think, window manager user configuration more or less rests on these tasks:
> a) configure some menu structure to access user programs

That's covered by any manager supported by menu-xdg.
> b) configure a keyboard structure to access user programs

Most wms support keyboard macros. It varies by manager.
> c) configure wallpaper and screen saver

xscreensaver can be used with virtually any manager.
> d) adjust font sizes and screen brightness

Have you ever tried using the xrandr command to adjust the brightness of
X11 display? It may help you, by giving you the ability to adjust the
display regardless of the manager you chose. Font control is specific to
whatever manager you decide to use.

Please feel welcome to email me if you need more information.