:: Re: [DNG] A heads up about xfce's f…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Hendrik Boom
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] A heads up about xfce's future
On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 02:15:33PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 17:03:10 +0100
> Edward Bartolo <edbarx@???> wrote:
>

> > If Devuan fails to package XFCE it will be a blow for me as window
> > managers are not suitable for my eyesight.
>
> I don't think anyone suggested removing XFCE from Devuan. That would be
> a grave error. I think they were just talking about what to crown as
> the default window manager.
>
> > They take ages to configure
> > - something that I cannot do when fonts are too small to read without
> > damaging eye fatigue.
> >
> > I found window managers' default font sizes terribly small that often
> > resulted into burning eyes after a few minutes of reading. This means,
> > they are out of question for me.
>
> I've had this problem too, with Windowmaker and Fvwm. Catch 22: If only
> I could read the screen, I could configure the fonts to be larger. If
> only I could configure the fonts to be larger, I could read the screen.
>
> There's a special place in hell for people who assume everyone has
> their precise visual acuity. 9point lightgray font on darkgray
> backgrounds. 8 point on a transparent background.
>
> I know what you mean.

This is a common failing among graphic designers -- they are concerned
too much with how things look, and they're often not text specalists
so the fonts, although pretty, are too small and sometimes not easily
readable even when large.

Usability has to be king. Everything else, though pleasant, has to
come second,

-- hendrik