:: Re: [DNG] A heads up about xfce's f…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: T.J. Duchene
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] A heads up about xfce's future
On 2016-02-26 09:46, Florian Zieboll wrote:

> I have been playing a bit with Siduction 14.1 when it was released some
> months ago, because it came with an LXQt Desktop.

Hi, Florian! =)

LXQt does have a lot going for it, but my time spent testing it on
Debian Sid left me with a somewhat negative impression, I'm sorry to
say. There were a number of position and screen geometry glitches that
need to worked out. (I use two screens with an AMD card.) It does show
a lot of promise, and I hope test future releases with enthusiasm.

I'm especially glad that they are using Qt5. Qt5 has QtMultimedia
instead of Phonon, which I have never really liked.

>Wow! Who would ever have thought that this is even
> possible, hahaha?!

A motived group can accomplish a great deal. How is Devuan coming along
these days? I've not been around for some time.

> May everybody think of KDE what s/he likes (there's a reason that I

chose LXDE...), but Qt is
> not KDE.

That's very true. I have never liked Plasma, and have been looking
forward to a "Plasma free" Qt based environment. I've always had some
Plasma widget crash from time to time (even on Debian Stable) and KDE is
far too tightly integrated for its own good. It's always "in for a
pence, in for a pound."

I'm not bashing - but to be honest, I've always felt that Plasma (and
Gnome-Shell) using Javascript for GUIs was a terrible idea. I have no
problem with minor applets, etc in JS or Python, but coding major bits
seems to have introduced performance and collision issues (especially
with Gnome-Shell).