:: Re: [DNG] A heads up about xfce's f…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Florian Zieboll
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] A heads up about xfce's future
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 23:17:13 +0000 (UTC)
Go Linux <golinux@???> wrote:

> Trinity Desktop Environment is based on an older version of KDE.
> (Think Gnome and Mate.) I always found KDE too fussy for my taste.
> But who knows how desperate I'll get if xfce goes south . . .
>
> lxde is soon to become lxqt so lxde will soon be a thing of the
> past. Don't you know that if it works, it needs fixing?

I have been playing a bit with Siduction 14.1 when it was released some
months ago, because it came with an LXQt Desktop. From the surface / my
first impression, it appeared to be an exact copy of the latest LXDE,
similarly economical in terms of resources, reasonably slim regarding
configurability - and not a single bit more. As a long term LXDE user I
was very pleased to see that.

I also want to emphasize how much I appreciate, that in "these times of
decay" (so much forking of major projects), two projects, both with
some years of history, come to the point to constructively bundle their
forces and merge. Wow! Who would ever have thought that this is even
possible, hahaha?!

IIUC, LXDE's decision to go Qt was based on the fact that it otherwise
and rather sooner than later would have to go GTK+ 3, which I see very
well in tune with the base motives of Devuan. May everybody think of
KDE what s/he likes (there's a reason that I chose LXDE...), but Qt is
not KDE. Devuan is hardly going to make it without confederates and I
would like a lot to see LXQt being one of them.

Florian