:: Re: [DNG] systemd==bad
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Clarke Sideroad
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] systemd==bad
On 02/20/2016 02:56 PM, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I will add my two cents to the stream of comments.
>
> I think systemd is aimed at desktop users assuming that most Linux
> users are also desktop users. It is also aiming at
> unifying/streamlining Linux base commands so that users from different
> flavours of Linux (aka distributions) use the same commands
> irrespective of the distribution they use.
>
> If I am correct, this has been the dream of freedesktop.org. Note the
> name, 'freedesktop'. So, the emphasis appears on desktop use. For such
> users, CLI base commands are a second class of necessary tools but not
> the primary tools, as the latter, are obviously GUI applications.
>
> The problem with systemd is the way it is made mandatory for unrelated
> packages forcing distributions to adopt it. This policy smells of
> corporate tactics which are totally out of place where free software
> is involved. Now we have a take it or leave it attitude.
>
> Sysemd is not only an init system but far more than that. In my
> opinion it has become more and more like a replacement of the entire
> base system. The reason is the infamous streamlining of distributions
> in favour of newbies who do not appreciate using an entirely different
> operating system.

Edward,

I think that is a pretty good take on it.

I come from a place where a GUI and hence the "Desktop" is a front end
of convenience over or as an alternative to a CLI or scripted interface
to a program.

Systemd seems to be a GUI prioritization and magic show at the expense
of the CLI and identifiable, separable and addressable underpinnings.

The init was just the "foot in the door".

It really is a whole different ball game and while I believe in the live
and let live way of free and open source, where things survive or not on
their merits, I have a whole lot of trouble with the systemd
implementation onslaught with their "poison pill" approach.
It is effectively killing alternate implementations and opportunities
for GNU/Linux across what has become the majority of distributions with
well contrived political shell games on the upper level distributions
poisoning the lower tier derivatives.

I strongly feel that the holdout out, no systemd developers, programmers
and distributions are in the big long term picture really the only way
forward and without them GNU/Linux would have mostly morphed into
Systemd (GNU compliant)/Linux by now and the rest of the tree from which
it grew would be dormant, dying or dead.

Clarke