:: Re: [DNG] Avoid 'git commit -m ...'…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: KatolaZ
À: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Avoid 'git commit -m ...' every time code is tested after editing.
On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 09:35:55PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:

[cut]

> > Commit often. Branch whenever needed needed. Merge when it
> > works. Release when "perfect" (the last one should be really
> > considered with a pinch of salt :P).
>
> When a version is a release, don't you just give it a tag?

Yes Steve. My point was that git is made to maintain the history of a
project, and to help you avoiding disasters, or containing their
impact. git is useful only if you commit fairly often, otherwise it is
better to use a backup system, rather than a revision control
system...

So, there is no point into committing "only working stuff", because
this is the best way to mess things up and/or to lose hours of
precious work. As it has been suggested by several others, whenever
you need to have the master branch to always be "working", it's far
better to do development in other branches, committing there as
frequently as needed (i.e., even if things don't work), and then
merging to the master when the development branch "works".

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]