:: Re: [DNG] Avoid 'git commit -m ...'…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Rainer Weikusat
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Avoid 'git commit -m ...' every time code is tested after editing.
Edward Bartolo <edbarx@???> writes:
> I need to avoid having to "git commit -m ..." every time I add/modify
> code. I need to 'git buildpackage' without committing changes. The
> reason is to make sure new code works before committing.

In my opinion, that's an unfortunate way to use a SCM because it's than
not used as a change management system but more like a release tracking
system. I usually commit every somewhat self-contained unit of work, eg,
every new function or signficant change to an existing function without
even knowing if the code compiles, let alone works (this requires
private branches if more than one person works on a codebase). This
means I get a detailed and commented history of all changes I made which
makes it easy to determine why something was changed/ written in a
particular way and also means that I can always throw the current
working files away (instead of trying to reconstruct them after an
ill-advised change, be it some idea which just didn't work out or
accidentally damaging a file) without losing a lot of work.