:: Re: [DNG] Installing different vers…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Hendrik Boom
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Installing different version of Linux
On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 09:05:52AM +0000, Dave Turner wrote:
> On 14/02/16 08:55, swdev wrote:
> >Hi there
> >
> >Long time lurker - first post :)
> >
> >Thanks for all the hard-work from the Devuan developers.
> >
> >I installed devuan alpha2 maybe a month ago, and am slowly
> >installing other apps as I need them.
> >
> >So far, all is well.
> >
> >I noticed that I am running Linux 3.16
> >
> >~$ uname -a
> >Linux jrlp02 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u3
> >(2016-01-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >~$
> >
> >Is there some where I can find pre-packaged versions of Linux -
> >say 4.4 for installation, or would I have to install the source
> >and complie?
> >
> >Would this be sensible to install and test?
> >
> >Many thanks
> >
> >swdev1

> One option, and I would say the easiest option, is to take a sharp
> intake of breath and do a dist-upgrade to devaun unstable 'ceres'.
> You'll like it, it's fun!
> (mainly...)
> ~$ uname -a
> Linux tosh 4.3.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP debian 4.3.5-1 (2016-02-06) x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> If you enjoy compiling kernels then I can't think of a good reason
> not to roll your own.
>
> DaveT

Or just edit your sources.list to include ceres temporarily, install
the new kernel, and then remove ceres and go back to your alpha2.
As fat as I know, installing a completely new kernel doesn't remove
the old one, though you may have to edit some boot files so you
have a choice of kernels when you boot.

-- hendrik