:: Re: [DNG] state of what's working f…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: KatolaZ
A: hellekin
Cc: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] state of what's working for modern desktop usage
On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 03:41:38PM +0000, hellekin wrote:

> >     It means you can transport your laptop to whichever place there is a
> > wifi ap (which you have entered once in your config) and your laptop
> > will automatically connect to the network, without you having to even
> > care about it.

> Which doesn't seem to be reliable with wicd. Did anyone else have this
> experience?

I have always had problems with wicd, for a reason or another. wicd
might be convenient to set up on-the-fly connections that you don't
use all the time (e.g., a wifi access in a public place), but then
there is always something that goes wrong, e.g. when an AP goes in and
out of sight: in that case wicd will try and retry to find the
previous AP, then it could try another AP with the same ESSID (if you
checked the right box in the conf panel), then it will jump back and
fro choosing the AP with the same ESSID and the best signal.

Result: you might be literally bombarded by good-quality 2.4Ghz
elecromagnetic waves that you could exploit to access the Internet,
but you usually remain stuck for several minutes in a row without
being able to use such wealthy abundance of electromagnetic waves just
because wicd has to update its bloody list of available APs four or
five times in a row, and has to do a round-robin associate-disconnect
to check which is the best one among the available ones....

My solution: just forget wicd and use wpa_supplicant directly. It
works ALWAYS, without delays, without stupid automagicalities, without
problems.

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]