:: Re: [DNG] vdev packaging effort ( w…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] vdev packaging effort ( was: state of what's working for modern desktop usage)
On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 15:11:16 +0100
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

>      I have some experience with initramfs, and I have already tested
> vdev with Busybox in initramfs a while ago. But have no experience in
> generating a Debian/Devuan initramfs. Here's my experience with
> vdev+busybox:

>      There was two problems:
>      1) Busybox's blkid doesn't accept any option. Formatting options
> are no problem because vdev manages to not use them, but the -p
> option is definitely missing. To be able to fully test vdev, I had to
> build the legacy blkid from util-linux.
>      2) At the time of this test campaign, the shebang line of vdev
> scripts was #!/bin/dash, which doesn't work in Busybox. It should be
> replaced by #!/bin/sh which works in all cases.

>      With the conditions described above, ie busybox, vdev, blkid
> (all linked statically against Musl libc) and modified shebang lines,
> the startup was working without error when booting from a USB key on
> my amd64 laptop.

>      I guess in Devuan/Debian, Busybox is dynamicaly linked against
> glibc; therefore adding blkid wouldn't dramatically increase the
> bloat.

>      Didier

Didier,

If you ever come to Orlando, Florida, USA, could you please give a
presentation on Busybox and its use with initramfs systems at our local
LUG, GoLUG? Your info is tremendously geeky and tremendously useful.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2016 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key