:: Re: [DNG] state of what's working f…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Simon Wise
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] state of what's working for modern desktop usage
On 10/02/16 10:26, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 09:22:15PM +0100, Florian Zieboll wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 11:24:38 -0500
>> Steve Litt<slitt@???> wrote:
>>
>>> For the reasons I enumerated above. I don't use NetworkManager because
>>> it's too much baggage, but I have to admit, its human-engineering is
>>> spectacular **on a window manager with a panel**.
>>

>> If you just need it for e.g. an occasional mobile connection, stalonetray is perfect.
>>

> I have to admit how much I envy you all guys. I have tried dozens of
> those automagical tools for wifi connection management, but in the end
> I always ended up using wpa_supplicant (with hand-written custom
> config files) + dhclient. There is no tool that does just "connect me
> to a wifi that I select" without forcing me, sooner or later, to do
> more work than needed with wpa_supplicant + dhclient :(
>
> Life is tough, here in the cave... :D

I'll second that ... I gave up fighting with the GUIs a long time ago, I needed
to set up quite specific LAN stuff and this was out of their range of
capabilities, they messed horribly with manual stuff and had to be purged..

I had come from OSX and older Apple OSes, this is about 15 years ago, and learnt
the manual setups required by simply watching what their GUI did behind the
scenes. What OSX had set up automagically was easily transferred to linux as the
toolchain is very similar. No linux GUI ever got even remotely close to OSX.
Seriously when you want a fully automagical GUI desktop with big corporate
backing and the market penetration to compel enough hardware manufacturers and
software merchants to jump on the gravy train, and your computer activities are
as the user of the common multi-media or office applications ... and you can
find the cash ... use OSX, you will save yourself a lot of bother.

All my networking is configured in a very small number of files, and some
one-line scripts with keybindings make switching to a particular network easy.

Ceni has been very useful, to detect hotspots etc and write the config stanza
for me, then I can always label and/or modify it if required.

Simon