:: Re: [DNG] state of what's working f…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] state of what's working for modern desktop usage
Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:
> Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

[...]

>> I always wondered why there existed network-manager at all
>
> For the reasons I enumerated above. I don't use NetworkManager because
> it's too much baggage, but I have to admit, its human-engineering is
> spectacular **on a window manager with a panel**.

AFAICT, it's exactly (that's from hearsay) the same wild mess of layer
1, 2, and 4 information one gets with Windows (eg, grouping WiFi AP
stuff [link layer], IP addresses and routes [internet layer] and DNS
server settings [application layer application configuration]) and the
only reason why you aren't terribly confused by that is that you've
trained yourself to expect this particular mess.

NotworkManager may be 'spectacular' at meeting these expectations,
that's something I cannot judge.