:: Re: [DNG] Migration to devuan Jessi…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Migration to devuan Jessie failed on rpi-zero
On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 08:30:28 +0000, KatolaZ wrote in message
<20160208083028.GD881@???>:

> > > raspbian is in between armel and armhf because debian armel is
> > > (or was then) compiled without hard float support while debian
> > > armhf is compiled for arm7 ... so since PIs are arm6 with FPU
> > > neither is suitable ... raspbian is compiled to suit PIs.
> >
> > Actually, armel _is_ perfectly suitable, just a bit slower.
> > However, rapbian guys wanted to use all the computing power of pi's
> > CPU, and thus used a debased version of armhf. They really should
> > have named the architecture different.
> >

> That's my point. Debian armhf is something quite specific (basically,
> at least ARMv7 + VFPU3), and Debian armel is something else, still
> specific (ARM with soft FPU, so almost anything else), while Raspbian
> is "branded" armhf but is neither, since it is compiled for
> ARMv6+VFPU2, as I found out googling around. They should have called
> it differently.

..and, setting up this new port/arch that needs its own
correct name, shouldn't we name it correctly? ;o)

..e.g. "ARMv6+VFPU2"? Or "rpi-1"?

..is the Raspberry Zero hardware way different,
i.e. not ARMv6+VFPU2 since it doesn't boot off
Raspian Wheezy?

..acconding to the foundation, it's "A(?)+ minus camera" etc
and clocked 30% faster, which might cause a need for slightly
higher cpu etc voltage settings.

> The problem wouldn't be compiling the packages, which can be done with
> a cross-compiler + toolchain on any more powerful piece of hw, but
> perhaps putting together an entire port for such a specific target,
> although it is a quite popular one.
>
> HND
>
> KatolaZ

Scenarios always come in sets of three: