:: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at work: rm -rf EFI
On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 11:39:15 +0000
Simon Hobson <linux@???> wrote:

> KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:
>
> > I don't get why any of those occasional "sysadmin-wannabe" users you
> > have described above would ever need to mess around with their UEFI
> > by hand.
>
> They don't. But certain tasks they run apparently can do - did
> someone mention Grub updating it ?

New kernels and corresponding initramf files are created every couple
weeks, and there's a need to seemlessly get the system to boot the
latest. I imagine there are solutions for this that don't involve mods
to EFI vars.

One I imagine is that grub is permanently set to kernel kernel.symlink
with initramfs initramfs.symlink, so that changing kernels is nothing
but changing symlinks. I think hard links would work too.

If that doesn't work in such a low level of boot (and I don't know what
it wouldn't), just name the latest kernel kernel.latest.

As far as poettering's necessary-to-life-itself thing of telling the
EFI what to boot next, I'm pretty sure this could be done a little
farther from the EFI.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2016 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key