:: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at …
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at work: rm -rf EFI
Le 05/02/2016 16:33, Rainer Weikusat a écrit :
> "Rainer H. Rauschenberg" <rainerh@???> writes:
>> On Thu, 4 Feb 2016, Simon Hobson wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Besides that I don't think mounting EFI-vars r/w is a good idea as a
>> system default and I don't think the user not having read all the
>> relevant documentation (spread out over various places)
>> is to blame when system behaviour *changes* in such a drastic way
>> (bricking hardware by deleting "files").
> 'Virtual filesystems' have existed since at least 1985 (SunOS 2.0) and
> Linux has supported various types of virtual filesystems for a really
> long time. Consequently, there's no "system behaviour which changed in a
> drastic way" here. What precisely happens when some program executes an
> unlink system call depends on the filesystem implementation. Even
> leaving this aside, there's a very simple rule-of-thumb here, namely,
> "if you don't know what it's good for then *don't* delete it" (unless
> you're making an experiment and you're willing to accept that the
> outcome was caused by you and not by the universe being nasty to you).

     People have always expected rm -rf / to destroy the OS. They also
know that, from the keyboard, with root priviledge, they can destroy the
partition table of the disk. All this is repairable by the admin
her/himself.

     The ability to brick the motherboard is brand new. Therefore admins
should be seriously protected and warned against this eventuality, at
least until it percolates into the general culture.

     Didier