:: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at …
Pàgina inicial
Autor: KatolaZ
A: Rainer Weikusat
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at work: rm -rf EFI
On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 04:14:49PM +0000, Rainer Weikusat wrote:

[cut]

> It's not really that simple: This really an interesting multi-level
> fuck-up.
>
>     - the systemd people shouldn't just mount the efivarfs r/w
>           because that's convenient for them and tell people to get lost
>           if they think otherwise

>     - someone who runs rm -rf on a group of mounted filesystems
>           should understand that whatever was affected by that didn't
>           chose to unlink itself

>     - the people who implemented the firmware shouldn't have
>           implemented that such that it ceases to work if userspace
>           software performs perfectly legitimate operations such as
>           deleting unprotected variables

>     [- the issue shouldn't be generalized until the answer becomes
>        42 ]

I agree that it's surely a mixture of different fuck-ups, but there is
no reason to make it easier for people to accidentally brick their
laptops. To the best of my knowledge, you can't brick your laptop by
unlinking any file in any other virtual filesystem. The most you can
get is a kernel panic, in a few very specific situations. You reboot
and you are fine. With UEFI is apparently a completely different
story, so users should have been told, IMHO.

HND

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]