:: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at …
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Simon Hobson
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at work: rm -rf EFI
Rainer H. Rauschenberg <rainerh@???> wrote:

> I think this is the road that led to systemd -- if you think Linux needs
> to be "as easy as Windows" you tend to take away all the aspects that made
> it superior (in my view).

I think I didn't really express my position very well.
I'm not advocating "taking all the good stuff away" - after all, I'm ready enough at work (a mostly MS shop) to describe the command prompt as "like Unix with all the useful stuff removed" :-)
But if you ignore the needs of the majority, then you more or less consign the project to being "one of those obscure distros that few use". I'm not suggesting the Windows/SysemD route either - just lose the "guru or find somewhere else" attitude to users that some people seem to hold.

And note that I proposed something that, IMO, treads the fine line between supporting those who want control, and those who are happy to let the system do it. One setting that defaults to control, but can be easily changed for those that are happy with the system dealing with it. And of course, for those that don't want it mounted at all, they can always remove it from fstab (or mark it as not automatically mounted).
I believe that's the 3 use cases that will suit 99+% of users of all abilities.