:: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Brad Campbell
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at work: rm -rf EFI
On 05/02/16 15:30, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The argument of those who support protecting the hardware against a
> probable breakage are logically sound: I support them.

I see it simpler than that.

I've always believed that best practice was if you don't need it mounted
rw, then don't. For example all my machines (deskop, laptop & servers)
always have /boot as a separate small partition. It's always kept
mounted ro unless I need to update the kernel or bootloader.

I have a couple of EFI machines (Macs) and I sure as heck don't keep any
of the EFI firmware directories even mounted, let alone mounted rw.

I see it as another "Well it makes our life easier, we don't see a
problem with it and if you nuke your system it's really not our fault
even though we did it behind your back without warning".

Which is why I'm here after 20 years of exclusive Debian use. I tried
systemd during the Jessie freeze. It broke during the upgrade and I got
lost trying to figure out how to fix it. I can fix a broken SysV system
in my sleep, and I'm old enough not to want to learn new stuff just
because someone thinks it's a good idea.

Brad.