:: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Wim
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at work: rm -rf EFI

> Wim <objectief@???> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > I'd like to see Devuan do better. Better than Debian, fi. Windows doesn't
> > seem to have this problem, as far as I could figure out. A format c:/
> > doesn't erase UEFI...
>
> Formatting a Linux disk partition also doesn't change anything in the
> EFI NVRAM. Linux (the kernel) provides a filesystem interface to the
> EFI variable services. And this (pseudo-)filesystem defines an unlink
> operation which performs a 'delete EFI variable' operation. On the
> surface, that's not an unreasonable implementation idea although one
> could argue that exposing these variables in the filesystem such that
> recursive filesystem operations like 'rm -r' can hit them would be
> overly risky.

Dear Rainer,

I know that. We all know that. You're right.

I'm only looking for a way out of a discussion that will not bare fruit.

The smart people on this list should be able to pick up minor errors like
this (that have in itself nothing to do with Devuan) and come out with a
simple fix as being better-than-the-rest.

As I wrote before, a recent test on an old laptop showed that all Linux
installers I tried failed miserably. Only freeBSD succeeded.

An average user will see this as a victory for FreeBSD. We know better.
It's not as simple and different hardware will yield different results.

I am praying for Devuan to be the winner. Not just another distro, existing
because we don't like systemd. Debian is/was a fine starting point. It has
served me well for over ten years.

Let's make it better!

Wim