:: Re: [DNG] what is sssd?
Top Pagina
Auteur: Rob Owens
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] what is sssd?
One thing it can be used for is offline authentication for LDAP users. I am
currently using sssd on a Funtoo laptop for this purpose. When I have no
network access (no access to the LDAP server), my users can still log in.

Previously I had used pam-ccreds for this. Both pam-ccreds and sssd require
changes to the pam.d files in order to work for offline authentication. I am
not a PAM wizard, so I had a lot of trouble getting this done. I never really
got it working right with pam-ccreds, but I managed to stumble upon a working
configuration with sssd.

That is not an endorsement of sssd, necessarily -- I think if I was more
knowledgeable about PAM I could probably get either one working. I would
prefer to use pam-ccreds only because it has a much more limited scope than
sssd seems to have. If I recall correctly, pam-ccreds needs to be used in
combination with nslcd for offline LDAP authentication.

-Rob