Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Does dunst require dbus?
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 11:03:18 +0100
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

>      I installed roxterm and rox-filer. Both are just nice behaving.
> roxterm doesn't seem to differ in apearence, configurability or
> behaviour, from xfce4-terminal or gnome-terminal.

I too have used rox-filer (but not yet rox-session), and found it the
kind of thing that you could learn to like. I learned of its existence
thanks to Simon's roxterm recommendation, and I'm using rox-filer every
once in a while, and starting to like it more.

>      rox-filer is nice looking, but it needs some configuration. Here
> are the two waek points I noticed

>      - there is absolutely no application defined by default for any
> file type; you must define them all - this is a miss in the packaging.

With Void Linux some of the filetypes are predefined, but a lot aren't.

>      - there isn't a menu of possible applications for a given file
> type. I like to be able to open an image with either a simple viewer
> or with Gimp to edit it.

Those menus are a double-edged sword. You maneuver thru the whole
thing, don't find the executable you really want, and then have to
furthergui to install an unlisted app.

>      And here are some features I like:

>      - If you left-click with the shift key pressed, you always open
> the file with the application you have defined for raw text. This
> allows to edit an html file instead of browsing it.

Nice! Thanks for that tip!

>      - files are open on single click (double click in Thunar),
> though this is a personal preference.

I wouldn't want that for Thunar, but somehow, in rox I like it :-)

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28