:: Re: [DNG] Debian is endorsed by Mic…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Simon Hobson
À: dng@lists.dyne.org
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Debian is endorsed by Microsoft
dev1fanboy <devuanfanboy@???> wrote:

> So for having our own values we are a "hardcore cult", how dare we voice our opinions or stand up for our values (like anyone else in the free software community, btw). Better yet, let's go back to debian because otherwise we're elitists.

That's not what I said - and if it reads that way then I failed articulate my opinion well (wouldn't be the first time).

This is just the latest. There have been a few subjects that have come up where the undertone from some participants has been fairly solidly along the lines of "if it comes from X then it has to be bad" as though it's not possible for X to do anything other than totally bad, and do it for malicious reasons. When you get into that state of mind, then reasoned discussion is suppressed, and that doesn't promote a friendly atmosphere.

I agree that it's "quite unusual" to have a party to celebrate a hosting service supporting a particular OS - but given the hostility in the past, it does seem to be something of a milestone, and I can see how someone might want to use that as an excuse for a party. I don't doubt that being employed by the hosting provider (I imagine specifically working making sure the compatibility is there) is partly behind that.

IMO, MS officially and actively supporting FOSS OSs on Azure is (based on their previous decade or two of rhetoric) a "world shifts on axis" event. If you'd asked me 5 years ago if I thought MS would "support Linux" then I'd have given a somewhat negative answer. But it's happened - so why the hell not have a party to celebrate what is effectively apublic admission that MS is actually influenced by the market ?

As an aside, does MS provide official images to run, or is it still BYO ? If the former, then suddenly it changes the legal situation as well as the practical.