:: Re: [DNG] Debian is endorsed by Mic…
Top Pagina
Auteur: KatolaZ
Aan: Simon Hobson
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Debian is endorsed by Microsoft
On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 10:12:08AM +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:

[cut]

> I have to say that some of what I see written on this list plays right into the "bunch of hippies with an axe to grind" stereotype some people like to bash GNU/Linux/FOSS with.
> I realise some people have strong views on some things. I can't help getting the feeling that some people are letting prejudice and hatred for certain people or projects cloud their judgement. Yes there are real technical reasons for wanting to avoid SystemD, there are no real technical reasons for believing that someone can't work for Microsoft and on Debian while also having integrity.

Well, not everybody pays his bills developing open source software,
but if I were a Debian developer, who had adhered to the debian Social
Contract [1], I would find it difficult to organise a fest to
celebrate Microsoft offering Debian as an option on its
azure-whatever. Call me a hippy, if you want, but I do see some
incoherence there.

The user base of Debian is already the largest, in the server
industry, without Microsoft intervention. And this is the "problem"
Microsoft would like to "solve" with this "smart" move, IMHO.

My2Cents

KatolaZ

[1] https://www.debian.org/social_contract

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]