:: Re: [DNG] Apparently Jessie has run…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Daniel Reurich
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng@lists.dyne.org
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Apparently Jessie has runit

> As I mentioned before, I run quite a bunch of Debian servers (wheezy
> and jessie) with runit as both process supervisor and init system.
> To simplify deployment I wrote small debian packages for my run
> scripts. It's definitely not production ready, but it's been working
> for me for years.
>
> My packages work by diverting the original /etc/init.d/XX script and
> replacing it with a link to /usr/bin/sv, so it's plugs in quite
> nicely in debian (i.e. you can still call /etc/init.d/XX
> {start|stop}).
>
> If anyone want to have a look at a possible way of integrating runit
> with debian and experiment with it, I have an apt repository[1] and
> the sources online[2].
>
> [1] https://parad0x.org/apt/ [2] https://parad0x.org/git/debian-run/
>
> I'm not sure that this kind of packaging is the way forward for
> devuan though, it can be heavy to have to maintain sysv startup
> scripts and run scripts for all services. I'd love to have a
> discussion on supporting multiple init systems at some point (after
> stable is released).
>
> PS: watch out with the runit-init package, it's a bit brutal/broken,
> since it replaces /sbin/{reboot|halt|shutdown} with runit
> equivalents, it's tricky to do a clean initial reboot after the
> package is installed when the system still runs from sysvinit. I'll
> fix this when I get the time.

perhaps doing the same thing as init-system-helpers dh_systemd package
to add support for runit into each respective package. This way each
package has it's own runit scripts included in the package but they are
only deployed and set up if runit-init is installed. This is done using
hooks in dpkg... I'm a bit vague on the details at this stage, but have
a look at the source for init-systemd-helpers for details.

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.