:: Re: [DNG] lilo development has ende…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Simon Hobson
Aan: dng@lists.dyne.org
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] lilo development has ended
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> I don't think Grub2 is all about pretty colours though. The veteran admin likes to have a bootloader which is easy to configure, but the random admin, likes to have a working multi-boot bootloader at the end of the installation.

Indeed, and when ${random_admin} has a mix of md raid and lvm (and possibly other stuff as well), then either the bootloader has to support that - or ${random_admin} starts asking WTF? type questions.

AIUI, if you use md and raid1, with metadata version 0.9, for /boot - then each member of the raid set contains a complete image of /boot which is safe to use read-only. So the bootloader doesn't need to understand md, and the rest can be taken care of in the initramfs/initrd (it's OK if said quickly and I slam the lid back down before the worms crawl out !)
But try explaining the specific steps needed to achieve that to someone who is just "clicking the options" for an install.