:: Re: [DNG] lilo development has ende…
Página Inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] lilo development has ended
Le 19/01/2016 17:02, Steve Litt a écrit :
> Grub is the systemd of bootloaders. It's all about pretty colors, nice
> images, and hiding the fact that processes are being instantiated.

Someone said that the developpers of grub-0.9 (now Grub legacy) had maintenance problems. Often, in this case, the best solution is to rewrite completely the program.

I don't think Grub2 is all about pretty colours though. The veteran admin likes to have a bootloader which is easy to configure, but the random admin, likes to have a working multi-boot bootloader at the end of the installation. Clearly the authors of Grub2 were not able to achieve both goals.

While Grub-0.9 was admin-friendly, the Debian installer (I don't know for others) often failed to deliver a bootable system, and to preserve access to the other installed OSes. With Grub2, a team of developpers has (rather well) achieved the automation and relieved the distros of this burden. The admin is now facing a black box, but the distros feel better.

Any tool providing an intelligible interface to this blackbox would be welcome. Maybe Edward might want to write a howto...

    Didier