:: Re: [DNG] lilo development has ende…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Edward Bartolo
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] lilo development has ended
Hi All,

On this machine I am using right now on which I developed netman, I
have grub2 installed. Since I never agreed with how grub2 should be
managed, I opted to use a manual method to update grub.cfg. This
machine has about 9 Debian/Devuan installations installed to separate
partitions on a GPT formatted disk. The first partition is the one
dedicated to maintain grub2 with only a terminal and root as a user. I
found that grub.cfg uses an easy syntax that I can adopt to manually
edit the file to achieve more or less the same ease of use I used to
enjoy with grub1. In case grub2 overwrites grub.cfg, I keep a backup
so as to easily restore it to the prior state. All other installations
do not have a bootloader installed so that the primary bootloader
would always continue to load the correct manually written grub.cfg as
I wanted.

My setup prevents any installation from modifying grub.cfg without my
knowledge. It also makes it impossible for any installation to modify
the primary bootloader except the one with grub2 installed that I
almost seldom boot. In fact, there is no grub menu entry for the
installation that I use to manage grub2. When I need to do that, I
press 'e' as soon as the grub2 menu is displayed and edit the menu
entry's stanza as appropriate.

Although it may sound complicated, this setup saved me quite a lot of
headaches about changing menus without my approval.

Edward