:: [DNG] The perversion continues
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: [DNG] The perversion continues
Hi all,

I still monitor debian-user. Today on that mailing list a guy asked how
to get network connectivity while using Openbox, and guesses (I have a
feeling correctly) that it's a dhcp problem. He wants to know how to
get dhcp running with Openbox --- it ran with Xfce.

Yes indeedee, I'm pretty sure that now Debian is one of those distros
that doesn't network connect until the desktop environment is running.

Which is some of the worst perversion I've heard to date. Last time I
heard, network connectivity is part of the core OS, not part of the
user interface.

By the way, if any of you just wants to connect to a specific IP
address, here's my always-works, distro-agnostic script to do it:

#!/bin/bash
ip link set dev enp3s0 down
ip addr add 192.168.100.2/24 dev enp3s0
ip link set dev enp3s0 up
ip route add default via 192.168.100.96

Obviously, change enp3s0 to the interface of choice (which can be
deduced by a shellscript calling ip link), and change the ip address
and route to what you want. This script can be run very early in the
boot. With this script, you can forget about every distro's
idiosyncratic way of specifying network connections, and just get it
done.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28