:: Re: [DNG] Linux 4.4 and KMS
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Rainer Weikusat
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Linux 4.4 and KMS
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> writes:
> Le 13/01/2016 18:44, Rainer Weikusat a écrit :
>> Didier Kryn <kryn@???> writes:
>>>      Just received "Linux Update". One of the articles is about the
>>> release of kernel version 4.4.

>>>      Included in the new kernel is "A new kernel mode-setting (KMS)
>>> driver from Broadcom".

>>>      I gave a look at Wikipedia about Kernel-based mode-setting. The
>>> article in the French Wikipedia states that, amongst other advantages,
>>> KMS permits  to *run the X server without root priviledge*.
>> Kernel mode-setting has existed for a while and it's mainly supposed to
>> enable people to "do graphics" without having to resort to writing
>> another X driver, thereby making it yet more difficult to sell wayland.

>     Sure it's not new, but for Broadcom. But why the hell do we still
> have the only alternative of either run the X server with root
> priviledge or to run it under Systemd?

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Non_root_Xorg
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-June/010511.html

'Kernel mode-setting' really just adds interfaces to the kernel which
enables userspace software to request that some 'graphics card' is
programmed/ configured in order to do XXX, as opposed to 'the userspace
software' (aka 'the X server') accessing the hardware directly in order
to do this.

As far as I can tell, systemd only comes into play here in order to
change 'device node access permissions' automatically and (indirectly)
relies on KMS itself.

BTW: Considering that X has worked 'as root' for over 20 years and the
sky didn't fall, why's that suddenly a serious problem? Especially
nowadays, where 'devices running an X server and used by "untrusted
users"' are virtually extinct?