:: [DNG] Linux 4.4 and KMS
Top Pagina
Auteur: Didier Kryn
Aan: dng@lists.dyne.org
Onderwerp: [DNG] Linux 4.4 and KMS
Just received "Linux Update". One of the articles is about the
release of kernel version 4.4.

     Included in the new kernel is "A new kernel mode-setting (KMS)
driver from Broadcom".

     I gave a look at Wikipedia about Kernel-based mode-setting. The
article in the French Wikipedia states that, amongst other advantages,
KMS permits  to *run the X server without root priviledge*.

      I couldn't find this statement in various Wiki articles in english
(all rather outdated). If the article in French tells the truth, and
since many hardware graphics are supported (Intel, Radeon, GeForce, and
now Broadcom), this means that one of the most important saling
arguments of Systemd (running X without root priviledge) now falls down.

     Thanks Linus and kernel team. The best way to fight bad software is
to write good one.

     Didier