:: Re: [DNG] FW: support for merged /u…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Ángel Ramírez Isea
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] FW: support for merged /usr in Debian
El 2016-01-05 14:50, Joel Roth escribió:
> Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>> Clarke Sideroad <clarke.sideroad@???> writes:
>> > So I've been thinking more about this as to why?
>> >
>> > It is quite obvious that it is driven by Redhat to be the same as Oracle
>> > Solaris, they say as much.
>>
>> That's "quite obviously" an after-the-fact justification and the
>> corresponding freedesktop.org text,
>>
>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken/
>>
>> (still) quite plainly states that udev (it names no other examples) is
>> developed based on the assumption that / and /usr reside on the same
>> device and that any bug reports regarding this are WONTFIXes. IOW,
>> that's a policy decision certain people originally made for "their
>> systems" which is now forced on everybody else.
>
> Reading the above link, and also this discussion
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/
>
> it appears there are two aspects considered:
>
> 1. Merging the longstanding directories for executables: /bin /sbin
> /usr/bin /usr/sbin
> 2. Making libraries in /usr/lib and friends available at boot time.

Please forgive my paranoid rant, but all this looks to me more and more
as if they (Red/mond/hat) are trying to steer the community towards a
breakable, «user friendly», expert-user unfriendly, desktop version of
whomever wants a stable, high quality product.

IMHO, at some point we will have to start ignoring whatever they do.

--
Saludos cordiales,

Ángel Ramírez Isea.
Usuario de Devuan y Canaima GNU / Linux # 460737.

Coordinador General.
Cooperativa Simón Rodríguez para el Conocimiento Libre, RS.
www.simonrodriguez.org.ve
(261) 524.55.93 -:- (426) 369.57.18
J-40294137-4