:: Re: [DNG] Predictable Network Inter…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Rainer Weikusat
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Predictable Network Interface Names - Stupid or good idea?
Anto <aryanto@???> writes:

[...]

> It turned out that the eth0 interface was changed to ens3, due to the
> implementation of Predictable Network Interface Names
> (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames). I
> can change everything which contain eth0 into ens3, but I prefer to
> keep the old interface naming. So my temporary solution is to add
> net.ifnames=0 into the kernel command line.
>
> I have been indoctrinated myself that everything come from systemd
> gang are stupid and bad. After reading the above link and some other
> pages from systemd supporters, I think I might have to change my mind
> about that Predictable Network Interface Names idea. But I am not
> entirely sure yet. What do you guys think about that?

That's a workaround for the udev bug that it doesn't load device drivers
in the proper order. Further, it's also intended to please hardware guys
with a beancounting tick as these always thing encoding details about
the physical configuration of the hardware in device names, thereby
making it impossible to write hardware-independent code, is An
Absolutely Great Idea[tm]. Coincidentally, they don't write code.