:: Re: [DNG] Predictable Network Inter…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Clarke Sideroad
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Predictable Network Interface Names - Stupid or good idea?
On 09/01/16 01:44 PM, shraptor wrote:
> On 2016-01-09 19:17, Anto wrote:
>
>> On the topic. It would be quite interesting how vdev will be (or is)
>> managing this network interface naming assignment. Do you have any
>> comment on this, Jude?
>
> vdev uses by default old naming convention but has a file
> called /etc/vdev/ifnames.conf where you can set names arbitrarily.
>
> Example ifnames.conf that is auto-generated at compile time
> (only covered up my mac addresses)
>
> # Format:
> # PERSISTENT_INTERFACE_NAME mac|devpath MATCH_ARGUMENT
> # * PERSISTENT_INTERFACE_NAME is the persistent name of the network
> interface
> # * If the second argument is "mac", then MATCH_ARGUMENT is the
> colon-separated MAC address
> # * If the second argument is "devpath", then MATCH_ARGUMENT is the
> device path to the NIC in sysfs
> #
> # Example: a wireless USB dongle, to be named "wlan-edimax"
> #
> # Using the "mac" match:
> # wlan-edimax mac 80:1F:02:D3:B2:83
> #
> # Using the "devpath" match:
> # wlan-edimax devpath
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1/1-1.1:1.0
>
> eth0 mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
> wlan0 mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

That works probably the best for me, effectively assigning aliases to
hardware mac.
I've only run into mac duplication a couple of times in my life thus far.

It solves the problem that Steve Litt brought up of chasing the same
piece of hardware around the USB buses and also allows interfacing with
equipment looking for another naming convention.

Of course when a network card or adapter is changed the table would
require editing.

Isn't the initial identification of network adapters and assignment
originally handled by the Kernel or is this another urban myth that I
have mistakenly hung on to?

-- Clarke